Friday, July 4, 2008

My first days

So here I am in Quito, Ecuador. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Random, isn't it? I don't know a lick of Spanish (well, know I know a lick, but two days ago I didn't), this trip isn't put on by Stanford, and I don't really know anyone here. Nor did I know anything about Ecuador before coming - only that it was near the Equator, is home to part of the Amazon and all of the Galapagos, and there are indigenous communities willing to house an outsider. In short, I am here for a unique experience. City boy, arguably sheltered from the unforgiving streets of DC, only knowing English, and never really been out of the country. Seems like I would have a lot to learn and gain from an experience like this, eh? Well, I sure do hope so. Once I learn some Spanish to get by here in Quito I want to move on to those indigenous communities - San Miguel to be exact, to really be exposed to something I never have been before. I also want to spend this summer writing, working on an existing novel and garnering inspiration for a second.

I arrived July 1st. I'll spare you the details of my overly long travel time. Just know that it was long and by the time I had passed through Ecuadorian customs and gotten my bags, I was ready to sleep. Gabriel, a young Ecuadorian man about my age, was waiting for me with a nice little sign. He arranged my Homestay and would be the one to make sure my time here is safe and, most important, worthwhile (wait, are my priorities right?). Needless to say, I slept for about 12 hours once I got to my Homestay in Quito, after I met the nice old lady that wanted to be known as my new "Ecuador-Mom."

I always think that the first day of any new adventure in life is the longest. Whether that's moving in day at Stanford as a freshman or taking on a new country, it just seems that so much happens in that one day. Well, on July 2nd, despite me waking up damn near noon, it was one of those days. I read a little bit - oh, yes, I brought a lot of books, every writer needs to do two things to be successful: read and write - when I woke, took a shower and then debated about going downstairs. Gabriel, my link to the English language, was gone and leaving my room meant stepping into a world that did not understand me. My stomach finally got the best of me and I slowly climbed down the stairs. Luckily, there are other people staying in this house that know English. I was able to grab some breakfast and then went back up to my room.


I noticed two interesting things. One, as I was looking out my window, I saw that the house next door has a surrounding wall that is covered with broken glass on its top. My guess is that its a substitute for barbed wire to keep people out. Another is a comical picture that was hanging above the toilet in the bathroom.


Later, my 'Ecuador-Mom" took me to a late lunch. She speaks hardly any English. All she could really say was that in one week I should be able to get by. The restaurant was a nice, small one. One of the many unique things about it was the upside down baskets that the light bulbs from the ceiling were poking through. We met up with two of her friends and I felt out of place a little, as it was obvious no one at that table knew English but me. And everyone knew Spanish but me. I remember thinking how it all sounded like gibberish to me. Gibberish Gibberish Gibberish. I looked forward to the day I could make meaning out of it.

When I returned to my room, I exercised a bit and got light-headed, probably from the high altitude. Oh, did I mention Quito is cold. Ecuador. Equator. Coincidence? I think not. You'd think it'd be hot as satan's oven, but the temperature is a lot like North Cali. Ah, thousands of miles just for more Bay Area weather.

Gabriel came later and picked me up to watch the soccer game. Ecuador was playing Brazil in some championship and Ecuador had won the last game and this would be the final one. He introduced me to some of his friends. More English speakers. We went to a bar where the game (taking place in Brazil) was being broadcast. Chaos. Pure, uncensored, fun chaos. Chanting, yelling, shirts swinging over heads, etc, etc. You name it, the bar was alive with it. I didn't like the beer showers that happened every time Ecuador scored and was secretly hoping they'd lose to save me from being wet and smelly, but hey, it was a big thing for the country. Can't be mad at that. Every time I turned around someone offered me a drink. I didn't drink much, as my stomach was/is still getting used to the new surroundings, but Gabriel and his friends sure did! All and all, it was fun. Ecuador won and then the parties moved to the streets. It was all innocent and I didn't see a single fight, much different from what I'm used to. Hell, I thought if a fight can break out at Stanford, it could anywhere!

One lesson I learned from the night: don't eat off the streets (vendors)! Now, luckily, unlike many of life's most important lessons, I learned this the easy way. Not only was I warned of this many times, but I also saw some preparing of the food in action. The goal was shredded lettuce. The method: bare hands, a piece of wood, and more bare hands. The lady behind the stand would take a half head of lettuce and scrub it across the wood. She would then gather the shreds with her hands and then plop them in a bowl. Then she would go back over it with her hands like she was cleaning a window, getting every little piece. In to the bowl. Restaurants and home-cooked meals for me, please.

I took lessons today and took a cab there. I got out a few blocks away from my destination and as I turned the corner to reach my building, a small boy had a box strapped over his shoulders, like the vendors at baseball games selling popcorn and candy. Only this boy, no older than 8, was selling candy and cigarettes. I politely declined. My lesson was four hours long and one on one. It's fun, in a way, and she says I learn fast. They probably tell that to everyone, considering I have six years of French under my belt and the closest thing I know is how to say "Would you like to sleep with me tonight?" thanks to Patti Labelle (aw, hell, we all know its more thanks to those 4 singers no one really hears about anymore, except for Lil Kim maybe).

Well, I think that's enough for now. I wish I would have taken pictures last night during the soccer game activities. I am slowly learning Spanish, I think, but everything is still gibberish. My goal is to be able to go to San Miguel in a little over 2 weeks and be able to hold my own. We'll see how that works out.

No comments: