Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Black Man Can't Stay Out of Trouble

This post will be short because I just got done with a fairly long one. But, anyway, yesterday I had Spanish class from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm. They went OK and go by faster then you would think. During the 20 minute break at 10:30 I go to the nearest fast-food joint and order the same thing everyday. Pollo. Cus that's what I understand and that's what I like.

Anyway, I got back to my HomeStay at about 1 pm yesterday after class. I have a key and everything so there was no problem getting in. But once I got in, the alarm threatened to go off. I was never told how to shut it off (the security code). The house looked empty. I went upstairs to see if anyone was home. The house was empty. The alarm went off. This wasn't one of those punk alarms, either. It was so loud and was blaring from the outside that at first I wasn't aware that it was this very house broadcasting my presence to the world.

I didn't know what the best thing to do would be. The phone started ringing off the hook and I figured it was the security system. It might do worse to answer it. I didn't have Jenny's (the lady that owns the house) number. And my Spanish wasn't good enough to try to go outside and confront any police that may come. Even if it was, it would probably be a bad look for me. So I sat in my room and tried to wait it out. A few times I walked around and looked out the window and saw people passing by looking up at the house. Some saw me, I think. Great, a house with its alarms blaring and a single silhouette hovering by the upstairs window.

Eventually the alarm went off and Jenny came home. They had been out shopping when they got the call and rushed back. The police were apparently waiting outside but everything from then was OK. We had a big laugh about it. Or rather she had a big laugh about it and I smiled and nodded. She was sympathetic, though. The little devil, however, (remember her?) was quick to taunt and let me know how simple and easy it was to turn off the alarm. Afterwards, I was taught how to work the alarm and the password that I should say into the phone when the security people call. I thought it was a funny little experience, so I shared.

No comments: